I’m an avid supporter of organizations using social media. Organizations should use social media to create a place for open internal communication and knowledge sharing, as well as customer engagement.
First, let me just say that it’s important to link any social media effort with your organization’s overall business objectives; it’s crucial for leadership to plan out how social media will fit in with the overall vision and goals of the organization. As leaders, we have to push social efforts not only to positively change organizational behavior and how employees interact with each other, but also to change how they interact and collaborate with customers.
Social media allows organizations to:
- Clearly state the company’s vision and provide more transparent leadership
- Enable employees to feel as if they are a part of the the overall vision and organizational plan by creating a sense of empowerment
- Create a more transparent environment of collaboration and innovation through knowledge sharing
- Engage their employees and customers more effectively, whether it’s through promotions or customer support
- Improve internal processes and decision making which often times relies on effective and clear communication
We live in a time of connected employees and consumerism, where the employee and consumer voices are more powerful than ever. They are expressing themselves through active communities in and outside of the office. This is why it’s crucial the organizational leadership take the time to engage employees and customers in order to build trust, and it should never be used as a way to simply broadcast a commanding and controlling message. Social media provides and excellent opportunity for leadership to bridge employee and customer expectations with their objectives.
It’s important that organizations adopt social media because it has become a natural part of our everyday lives, not to mention part of the ebb and flow of effective companies. Social media can positively motivate employees as well as promote dynamic forms of peer and customer connections through increased engagement. It isn’t just a trend or a passing fad, it has become a part of who we are..